Mold Damage – With all the ice and snow that surrounds our Michigan homes and businesses, it is bound to be a serious threat. So what can you do?
This depends on the size of the area affected with mold damage. If the moldy area is less than 10 sq. ft. (3 ft x 3 ft. patch), in most cases, you can handle the job yourself, following the guidelines listed below.
- Moisture control is the key to controlling mold damage.
- Avoid breathing in mold or mold spores, wear gloves and goggles to protect yourself from exposure.
- Scrub mold off hard surfaces with detergent and water, dry completely.
- Repair any plumbing leaks or water problems promptly and dry completely.
- Absorbent or porous materials (ceiling tiles, carpet, etc.) may have to be thrown out if they are moldy. Mold will grow into the porous materials making it difficult or impossible to remove completely.
- Do not paint or caulk surfaces damaged by mold, cleanup mold and dry areas before painting.
Property Owner Tips
Can I Use Bleach To Cleanup Mold Damage?
It is not recommended. There may be instances, however, when professional judgment may indicate its use (for example, when immune-compromised individuals are present). In most cases, it is not possible or desirable to sterilize an area; a background level of mold spores will remain – these spores will not grow if the moisture problem has been resolved. If you choose to use disinfectants or biocides, always ventilate the area and exhaust the air to the outdoors.
“U.S. EPA Region 5 receives more calls concerning mold problems than any other single indoor contaminant. U.S. EPA has published two excellent guidance documents that will help homeowners and building managers deal with this important, emerging issue: Mold Remediation in School and Commercial Buildings; and A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture, and Your Home.”