Keep Furnace Vents, Free Of Snow And Ice For Safety!

Rapid Recovery Service would like to Urge EVERYONE To Keep Furnace Vents, and Meters Free Of Snow And Ice For Safety

Following all the heavy snowfall across much of Michigan, Consumers Energy has asked customers to keep safety in mind by making sure their gas furnace fresh air intake pipes and gas/electric meters are free of snow and ice.

“With the large amount of snow that fell over the past month, we have experienced in our travel, issues with no heat, particularly those who live in mobile homes where chimneys are located on top of flat roofs. Snow has piled up around and blocked many of these chimneys, which causes furnace pilot lights to go out, everyone really needs to rid the ice and snow out of blocked areas and clear the air passage to be safe” said Dave Norris, CEO & Qualifying Officer of Rapid Recovery Service.

Tips from the pros- Mobile Home customers: Safely clear snow away from mobile home rooftop chimneys, preferably by using a snow rake. The furnace can then be recycled and should operate properly.

High Efficiency Furnace customers: Make sure the fresh air intake pipes (typically two white plastic pipes that come out the side of the home) are free from drifting snow to prevent obstructions and improper operation. 

Keep gas and electric meters clear of snow and ice. When snow and ice is allowed to build up it can become compacted and freeze, causing damage that interferes with proper operation of meters and related appliances. Snow should only be removed by hand, never with a shovel or power snow removal equipment.

Safe removal of snow and ice around chimneys, intake valves and meters can help prevent possible carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas that is colorless, odorless, tasteless and can be produced when appliances aren’t operating or venting properly.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning often mimic the flu and include headaches, nausea, fatigue, dizziness, shortness of breath, and stinging or burning of the eyes.

If any of these symptoms are experienced, leave the area immediately and call 911 or your local fire department for immediate help. 

The best defense against carbon monoxide poisoning is to install an audible alarm that will sound if dangerous levels of carbon monoxide are present.

To help ensure the safety of everyone in the community during the #polarvortex is to try to keep sidewalks, stairways and gate areas free of snow and ice buildup.

Comments are closed.